the city of Ovid
Calistrat Petronela-Georgeta 10th grade Theoretical High School „Pontus Euxinus „ (romania )
Ovidiu is a town in Constanța County, Dobrogea, Romania, consisting of the component locality Ovidiu (residence), and the villages of Culmea and Poiana. It has a population of 13,131 inhabitants. The old name of the town is Canara, from the Turkish word kanará which has several meanings: "rock", "altar", "slaughterhouse", "cattle fair". The current name was given in homage to the Roman poet Ovid.
Ovidiu has developed since ancient times as a village of farmers and fishermen. The oldest human traces in the area of Ovidiu Island and the surroundings of Lake Siutghiol are from the Middle Paleolithic, but research shows that the deepest layer of habitation is the Thracian-Geta over which the Geto-Roman overlapped. Along with the equally ancient Daco-Getic-Scythian populations from the 7th century BC. the Greek colonies were founded here, in the vicinity of the city only 10 km. in the distance being the famous colony of Tomis, and in the southern part of the locality, on the shore of the lake were found the traces of a Roman camp and an aqueduct that seems to supply the settlement on the island. Regarding the name of the island, the question arises whether there was any connection between this Dobrogean toponym of our times and the great Latin poet Ovid, exiled in Tomis in the years 9-17 e.n. and at the base are the many legends that have circulated among the people. According to one of the legends, the two old oaks that rise on the island were planted by Ovid and another says that the tomb of the great poet is somewhere on the island. In support of these legends come the archaeological research and establishing the correlation between the elements of material culture of Romanian belonging found on the island and in the surroundings, why should we not admit that this land, a place of poetic inspiration, of recreation of the author "Sad and Pontic".
As a settlement, according to the documents of the time, Ovidiu would date from around 1650, under the name of Siliste, being composed of several houses, which later due to destruction and lack of water will move to the shores of Lake Siutghiol, renaming itself Canara . From its establishment until 1930, the village was called Canara, a name of Turkish origin that translates as "place where the stone is removed", because in the vicinity there are piles of stony hills where quarries have opened from the oldest times.
Before 1880, the village of Canara belonged to the commune of Anadalchioi located 3 km north of Constanta on the road leading to Tulcea and between 1880-1909 it was part of the commune of Palazu Mare. From 1909, taking a greater development than the residence commune of Palazu Mare, the village of Canara was also declared the commune of residence for Palazu Mare until 1920-1922, when Palazu Mare was permanently separated from Canara. In 1930 Canara will be named Ovidiu after the small island of Ovidiu in Lake Siutghiol which is located near the town at a distance of about 100 m. Lake Siutghiol (Turkish name meaning lake of milk - fresh water) north of Constanta, keeps the name of Ovid, a fact recorded by the 1722 map of the Viennese geographer Tobias Lother.
The revolution of 1989 and the period that followed, the transition to a market economy, the restructuring of some enterprises and their transformation into privately owned companies, influenced the economic development of the locality. A number of enterprises have disappeared and new ones have appeared. At present there are the following industrial or agrarian-industrial units: quarry holdings (Dobromin SA and Uranus-Pluton SRL), Ovidiu Port at the Danube-Poarta Alba-Midia Canal (where ballast and sand are loaded and unloaded), Lock 1 (Canal), “Munca” cannery, Agroserv (agricultural parts) , Base 13 Ovidiu (supply for the agricultural sector), garment factory, a warehouse for medicines and a chemical warehouse "BIOCHEM", SC METACOM S.R.L. , S.C. ASTEK S.R.L., S.C. CONGAZ S.A., S.C. DA VINCI S.R.L.