UNIT 1 HOME LIFE
Period 3: READING
1. Where is the family? 2. What is each member of the family doing? 3. Is the family happy? Why (not) ?
Look at the picture and answer the questions:
1. Where is the family? 2. What is each member of the family doing ? 3 . Is the family happy? Why (not) ?
Look at the picture and answer the questions:
Yes , it is. Because the family members are very close- knit.
The family is at home.
The father is playing toys with the son. The mother is helping her daughter do the exercises.
Shift ( n) ca làm việc Biologist ( n) nhà sinh học Lab = laboratory (n) phòng thí nghiệm Project ( n ) đề án To join hands (with sb )= to work together : chung sức Caring ( adj ) quan tâm đến người khác Responsibility (n )= duty trách nhiệm To take responsibility for sth chịu trách nhiệm cho Household ( n) hộ gia đình To make sure (that )=to ensure chắc chắn To dress (v ) mặc quần áo
12. Be willing (to do sth ) sẵn lòng To give/ lend ( sb ) a hand = to help ( sb ) giúp đở Eel (n ) con lươn In an attempt (to do sth ) = in effort to do sth nổ lực , cố gắng Pressure = strain áp lực To be under pressure = to be under strain bị áp lực To take sth out = remove đổ rác To mend ( v) = to repair sửa chữa Chore = unpleasant task To look after sb / sth = to take care of sb / sth chăm nom
Read the passage and do the tasks that follow.
I come from a family of five people: my parents, my two younger brothers and I. My mother works as a nurse in a big hospital. She has to work long hours and once a week she has to work on a night shift. My father is a biologist. He works from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in a lab, but sometimes when there is a project, he doesn’t come home until very late at night. Although my parents are very busy at work, they try to spend as much time with their children as possible. It is generally believed that “men build the house and women make it home”, but in my family, both parents join hands to give us a nice house and a happy home. My mother is a very caring woman. She takes the responsibility for running the household. She is always the first one to get up in the morning to make sure that we leave home for school having eaten breakfast and dressed in suitable clothes. In the afternoon, after hospital, she rushes to the market, then hurries home so that dinner is ready on the table by the time Dad gets home. Dad is always willing to give a hand with cleaning the house. Unlike most men, he enjoys cooking. Sometimes, at weekends, he cooks us some special dishes. His eel soup is the best soup I have ever eaten.
3. I am now in my final year at the secondary school, and in my attempt to win a place at university, I am under a lot of study pressure. However, being the eldest child and the only daughter in the family I try to help with the household chores. My main responsibility is to wash the dishes and take out the garbage. I also look after the boys, who are quite active and mischievous sometimes, but most of the time they are obedient and hard-working. They love joining my father in mending things around the house at weekends. 4. We are a very close-knit family and very supportive of one another. We often share our feelings, and whenever problems come up, we discuss them frankly and find solutions quickly. We always feel safe and secure in our family. It is a base from which we can go into the world with confidence.
Task 1: ( p. 14) Choose the sentence A, B or C that is nearest in meaning to the sentence given: 1 . He doesn’t come home until very late at night. A. He never comes home late at night. B. He comes home late at night. C. He sometimes comes home late at night.
2. “ Men build the house and women make it home ”. A. Both men and women are good at building houses. B. Men and women have to live separately. C. Men’ s responsibility is to work and support the family and women’ s job is to look after the family.
3 . Our parents join hands to give us a nice house and a happy home . A. Our parents work together to give us a nice house and a happy home. B. Our parents take each other ‘s hand when they give us a nice house and a happy home. C. Our parents shake hands when they give us a nice house and a happy home . 4. The boys are mischievous sometimes. A. The boys are well - behaved sometimes B. The boys enjoy playing tricks and annoying people sometimes. C. The boys miss their parents sometimes
5. We are very close – knit family. A. Members of our family have very close relationships with each other. B. Members of our family need each other C. Members of our family are never close to each other.
Task 2 : Read the passage carefully and answer the questions. 1. How busy are the parents in the passage? They are very busy. They have to work long hours and work at night sometimes. 2. How caring is the mother? She is always the first one to get up in the morning to make sure that her children leave home for school having eaten breakfast and dress in suitable clothes; After work, she hurries home so that dinner is ready by the dad gets home. 3. How do the father share the household chores ? The father gives a hand with cleaning the house and sometimes cooks some special dishes.
- Learn new words and structures by heart