Differentiate between Manners and Etiquette
Both etiquette and manners play a significant role in social interactions. The two concepts revolve around human behavior and are often used interchangeably. However, the two are different at their core and shouldn’t be confused with each other.
Manners are behaviors that reflect a person’s attitude. Good manners will you to say ‘please’ or ‘thank you’ when needed and not interrupt another person. A manner is a way of doing something. The way in which any individual behaves is described generally as his manner. Customs and traditions of a society that govern how people treat one another and behave in social situations. Ways of behaving towards people especially ways that are socially correct and show respect for their comfort and their feelings
Examples of Manners
1. SAY PLEASE - Saying please when asking for something shows consideration for others — making it one of the most important manners you should be teaching your kids. Make sure your child says please before or after any request they make to instill the habit in them throughout childhood.
2. SAY THANK YOU - Teaching your children to show gratitude after someone has done something for them is equally important as teaching them to say please. A simple thank you can go a long way in demonstrating appreciation.
3. NO INTERRUPTING - Showing respect for adults is another important manner for kids to know. One simple rule that helps reinforce this concept is “no interrupting while adults are speaking with each other.”
5. SAY EXCUSE ME - “Excuse me” is another important phrase your child should know. In addition to helping them enter into an ongoing conversation, saying excuse me can also help them politely maneuver through a crowd or get an adult’s attention.
4. APOLOGIZE - Teaching your child to say they are sorry when they have done something wrong teaches them to take responsibility for their actions and helps them demonstrate empathy.
Etiquette in simpler words is defined as good behaviour which distinguishes human beings from animals. Human Being is a social animal and it is really important for him to behave in an appropriate way. Etiquette refers to behaving in a socially responsible way Etiquette provides a structure within which good manners can flourish. Etiquette is a set of rules defining the manner in which certain events or situations should be performed. Sets of rules that give expression to manners-can vary from culture to culture.
Types of Etiquettes
Social Etiquette - One of the most important etiquettes is social etiquette as it informs an individual about the norms and behavior that society considers acceptable.
2. Meeting Etiquette - This type of etiquette informs individuals about the styles one should give preference to while attending meetings, seminars, and events.
3 . Wedding Etiquette - There are wedding etiquettes in place that inform individuals that one should not be late, should behave sensibly, and do not drink too much at weddings.
4. Corporate Etiquette - This type of etiquette informs individuals about how an individual should behave at his workplace and maintain dignity.
5. Bathroom Etiquette - This type of etiquette refers to the rules that an individual should follow if he is using public or office toilets.
6. Business Etiquette - This type of etiquette acts as a guiding force to the professionals and helps them in conducting business deals in an ethical and effective manner.
7. Eating Etiquette - This type of etiquette informs individuals about the rules and regulations regarding their eating habits.
8. Telephone Etiquette
- This type of etiquette informs individuals about how they should behave on the telephone. How to interact with others, not putting someone on hold for a long time, greeting the other person, and keeping your tone and pitch at the perfect level are basic telephone etiquettes one should always follow